Bootloader unlocking is a requirement for any mods, regardless of whether you want to install a custom ROM or try to root your device. Due to security concerns, most Android devices often ship with a locked bootloader. It prevents users from altering the device. Xiaomi, on the other hand, as an enthusiast brand, officially offers bootloader unlock on all of their devices. The process is a little complicated, but because we’ve broken it down into simple steps, readers can simply Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Devices.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can get administrator access and make system-level changes. You can root your phone, install custom ROMs, and even uninstall the stock apps (bloatware). It will also assist you in improving the user interface of your smartphone by installing themes and icon packs.
What is Bootloader?
The bootloader is a part of the core Android system that loads the kernel and is in charge of starting up your phone. It provides instructions that tell the device which programs must be booted when the device boots. Additionally, it chooses whether to start your device in recovery mode or the operating system.
The bootloader on the majority of Android devices is usually locked, preventing users from flashing the bootloader or other device partitions. However, you can quickly unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi device with the help of a simple tool. Once the bootloader of your phone has been unlocked, the possibilities to customize or mod your device are endless.
Why do you need to unlock the bootloader?
There are several reasons why you might need to unlock the bootloader on your phone. If you want to root your smartphone, switch to custom ROMs to receive the newest features, or get rid of bloatware, you must unlock the bootloader. Furthermore, an unlocked bootloader is essential when reinstalling the stock firmware to unbrick your phone.
Before we get started on how to unlock the Xiaomi device bootloader, understand the benefits and drawbacks of doing so.
Advantages and Disadvantages of an Unlocked Bootloader
There are several advantages to having an unlocked bootloader. To begin, you may root your smartphone, install custom ROMs, and apply amazing customizations. However, an unlocked phone also has a number of risks. For example, you may lose all of your device data, and your device’s warranty may be voided. Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of unlocking the bootloader.
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader
Here are some of the benefits of unlocking the bootloader.
- With the help of Magisk, you can root the device and make the most customizations possible.
- Once the MIUI bootloader is unlocked, you can test out some of the interesting Custom ROMs for your device that are available on the community forum.
- You may replace your current stock recovery with a Custom Recovery like TWRP, which has several advantages such as the ability to create a Nandroid backup and install compatible ZIP files on your device.
- You can customize your smartphone with Xposed Modules, Magisk Modules, or other modifications.
- You can remove the device bloatware.
Disadvantages of Unlocking Bootloader
Here are some of the downsides of unlocking the bootloader.
- Your device’s warranty may be void if you unlock the bootloader.
- Your device’s data will be wiped off.
- You won’t get any further official OS updates.
- The procedure of unlocking the MIUI bootloader is risky; if done incorrectly, you may have bootloops or bricked devices in rare situations.
Pre-Requisites before Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Phones
- Make a backup of your smartphone since unlocking the bootloader will delete everything on it.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled on your smartphone.
- You must have the correct drivers installed on your PC for the unlock tool to identify your phone through USB.
- Maintain a sufficient charge on your device. To prevent it from shutting off in the middle, a minimum of 50% is advised.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Devices
You require authorization from Xiaomi to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi devices. Even though not every phone requires this permission, we strongly advise everyone to link their MI account and the device’s phone number to their Xiaomi account for optimal performance. If you don’t already have a MI account, sign up right away and make one. Make sure you have completed the following three tasks before moving on to the first stage.
- Register and create a Mi account if you don’t already have one.
- Ensure that your SIM card is in the phone and that it is the same one that you used to register for your Mi account.
- Disconnect your Xiaomi phone from WiFi and activate mobile data from your carrier.
Step 1: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
The first step in unlocking any device’s bootloader is to enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking. This switch has to be activated before the bootloader can be unlocked. The procedures to enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging for Xiaomi devices are shown below.
- Go to your device Settings.
- Head over to About Phone and tap on the MIUI version 5 times. This will allow you to access the developer options on your Xiaomi device.
- Go back to Settings -> Additional settings -> Developer options.
- Find USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking option and turn on the toggle right next to it.
Step 2: Connect your Mi account to your Xiaomi device
After completing the preceding three steps, go to the steps below to link your account to your Xiaomi device.
- Go to your device Settings.
- Head over to Additional Settings followed by Developer options.
- In the Developer options, go to the Mi Unlock Status option.
- Tap on the Add account and device button in order to authorize Xiaomi to unlock the device associated with the account.
- Once the account has been successfully added you should see a message saying Added successfully. MI account is associated with this device now.
Step 3: Download and Install the Mi Unlock Tool
It’s now time to download and install the Mi Unlock Tool on your computer. If you already have the Mi unlock tool installed on your PC, you may skip this step. It’s a little and portable piece of software that can be installed on any computer running Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, or Windows XP.
- Download Mi Unlock Tool latest version.
- Extract the zip file and double-click on the miflash_unlock.exe file to install Mi unlock tool’s latest version.
- Open Mi unlock tool and follow the next step.
Step 4: Boot Xiaomi device to Fastboot
Boot your device to fastboot by holding the power button and lower volume button simultaneously. and connect it to the PC. Once the phone boot into fastboot mode, connect the phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your phone into Fastboot Mode by simultaneously holding the Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- You should see the famous Mi Bunny logo with the Fastboot text.
- Now, connect the phone to the computer via USB cable.
Step 5: Unlock Xiaomi Bootloader using Mi Unlock Tool
This is the final steps to unlock the Mi device bootloader. You can simply click on the ‘Unlock‘ button in the Mi Unlock Tool to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi devices.
- Open Mi unlock tool and Log into your Mi account in tool.
- The tool will verify whether your Mi account has been correctly bound to the connected phone.
- Once verified successfully, a new message will appear on the screen, Phone connected.
- Click on the Unlock button in the Mi Unlock Tool window.
- Select Unlock anyway when prompted to finally unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi device.
- The process will then start and should take a few minutes. Once that is done, you will see the Unlocked Successfully message.
- Click on the Reboot phone button to restart your device.
Wrapping Up: Unlock Xiaomi Bootloader
Done! You successfully unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi Device using the Mi Unlock Tool. When you check the Mi unlock status in the developer settings, you will now see Unlocked. You may now use a custom recovery, custom ROMs, and even root your phone.